As temperatures continue to drop and the leaves turn beautiful shades of red, orange, and yellow, I can’t help but start to crave heartier meals. Generally the first thing to come to mind are variations of soups and chilis. Easy to prep in bulk and freeze for later in the winter, these are definitely a go-to option. But this fall, I’ve found myself hooked on these delicious and hearty lemony campfire chicken & potato packets.
This versatile recipe can be cooked in the oven, on the grill, or over the open fire on your next camping trip. The combination of fresh ingredients and herbs make this simple recipe so wonderful. All it takes is chicken and your favorite veggies like red potatoes, carrots, onions and corn. Toss it all together in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and top with your favorite fresh herbs like rosemary and sage. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over all of it and you’re ready to go!
Before assembling it all in a foil packet, lightly pan fry the chicken. From there carefully layer the rest of the ingredients. Make sure to wrap the foil packet tightly so all the delicious liquids are captured and work to steam the chicken and veggies.
Once you pull the piping hot packet out of the oven or off the grill, you’re in for a treat. Carefully open the packet and just watch as the steam rolls out. Breathe deeply and you might find yourself lost in the delicious aroma of this dish.
Looking for a simple alternative to turkey this Thanksgiving? This is a great alternative if you don’t feel like going all out and fixing a big meal!
- 1 large pack of leg quarters or chicken breasts
- Olive Oil
- 4 springs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh sage
- 3 lbs red potatoes quartered
- 1 lb carrots peeled and cut in half
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 whole corn on the cob cut in half
- 1 lemon quartered
- In a skillet heat olive oil and quickly pan-fry the chicken on each side. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay foil out to construct your own foil packets. Lay chicken on sheet of foil. Add veggies so that you have equal amounts in all 4 packets. Toss in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add rosemary, sage, and lemon on top and seal foil packets tightly. Place on a baking sheet in the oven for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. Cook until veggies are tender and chicken is cooked all the way through. Let rest for 10 minutes. Carefully open packet and let cool. Leave in the foil and dig right in!